Monday, September 10, 2012

Mixed Emotions {a birthday, a baby, an interview, and a horrible mission}

 Several things happened today {my birthday}, and I thought you ought to have pictures. So I drew them all on one paper, and marked them by how it happened. I'll show a close-up of each event when its it's turn. :)



1. {Turn your head, won't you?}
For my birthday, Jonathan came over. I was outside, so Mom sent him out. He was carrying a picnic basket with a blanket over it.
''Hey,'' Jonathan says, sitting down. ''Happy birthday.''
We talked a while. Then he took the blanket off the basket. There was a baby inside! ''I'm going on this mission under the mines for President Paylor. My mom's health is failing because . . . it just is, okay? She can't take care of Lux, so I was wondering if you could until she gets better or until I return.'' Jonathan says, turning up his hopeful eyes to me. ''Fine,'' I half say half grumble. I take a closer look at ''Lux''.
 2.
''That's really her name?'' I ask, staring at the sleeping baby. ''Yup,'' Jonathan nods. ''Well . . . She's cute.''
 3. {My picture does not do Jonathan justice. Besides, I stink at drawing boys}
''Rue,'' Jonathan says, doing that weird thing where he holds my face. ''Promise you'll take care of Lux. All of my other siblings died . . . I want Lux to last, not only for me but my mom, too.'' ''Of course I'll take care of Lux,'' I say. ''Why do you think I wouldn't?'' Jonathan doesn't answer that question. ''It's a dangerous mission. I may not return,'' he says, voice cracking. ''No,'' I say. He lets go of my face.
We spend a little more time together, and then he leaves. ''Bye.''
 4. {The Capitol gave me hair extensions}
Later that day, a super fast Capitol jet drove me {only me . . . I was coming back right after the interview} for live interviews with Cesar Flickerman.
''So, Rue, we all want to wish you a happy birthday. We heard you spent most of your birthday with your boyfriend, Jonathan. Is that true? What did you do?'' Mr. Flickerman asks. ''Yes, it's true. I think he's somewhat more of a guy friend, though,'' the audience laughs at this {yes, there's a difference, with a guy friend you aren't really in a relationship},  ''We spent our time outside. Just talking, and stuff. He's going on a mission. He couldn't take care of his little sister, Lux, so he asked if I would.'' Mr. Flickerman leans forward. This will be interesting for the Capitol. ''Lux? Could you tell us a little more about her?'' ''Well, she's very cute. She's also a quiet baby. I haven't ''had'' her for long, so I really don't know,'' I shrug.  We talk a little bit more about random do-das, making the audience hoot and laugh often. But then when Mr. Flickerman leans in again, I know we're going to talk about something serious. ''I heard the plane Jonathan was on crashed. Have you heard anything about this?'' I can feel my eyes opening wide. ''No,'' I gasp. ''Some say it's a rumor, but we've seen shards of a plane breakage,'' Mr. Flickerman says. I hate myself for crying, but I do it anyway. Mr. Flickerman pats my hand gently. We end, and I'm lead off crying {it's hard to ask a crying 15 year old teenager questions}.
 5.
I sit down numbly on some steps. I still have a few minutes to shop, or do anything I want to {according to Mom and Dad . . . they gave me some money for a birthday present to spend on whatever I wanted.}. I start crying. At first only a little, but then a lot {and in PUBLIC - I've shamed myself}. Some random guy {the Capitol are full of random guys} asks me if I'm okay.
''My name is Harry,'' {pronounced Har-ee, not hairy} he's wearing a creepy bean-y hat thingy and skinny jeans, but right then consoling would feel OK. ''I'm Rue,'' I gasp through my tears. He looks bewildered, and he probably wishes he hadn't asked me if I was okay. He lets me squeeze his hand really hard, until I'm okay.
''Thank you,'' I whisper. He turns and nods, and then keeps on going.
This is the present Jonathan gave me. I need to go now, because Lux is hungry.



-Rue

No comments:

Post a Comment