Saturday, June 30, 2012

Memorial Feast (2) Part 1

It was very dark, and I was cold. Mammy could tell, so she tried to make it quick. ''Hello, Rue,'' she hugs me. ''We've missed you so. Master and I, we've gotta a gift fo you. You'll look lovely. It's fo the Memorial Feast, ya see. I made the dress, and Master sent the jewels. I'll sneak over and help you get dressed some time.'' Mammy pauses. ''I love you, Rue,'' and with that she steps away into the darkness. I clutch the small parcel made with so much love, and run towards my home.

''I was right! Yo shure do look lovely,'' Mammy looks with pride at me. I have just been stripped of at least 3 layers of skin, and my hair and skin glistens.
 
Mammy kisses my forehead and, once again, vanishes. Mom opens the door, carrying my plain green dress and a pearl headband. ''Rue,'' Mom says, her eyes wide. ''Where did you get that?! Please tell me you haven't robbed a clothing store!'' I laugh. ''A friend gave it to me,'' I say. ''Who?'' Mom asks. ''You don't know him.'' I regret my mistake at once. ''Him? Oh, Rue, have you got a secret admirer? Or even a beau?!?!'' Mom asks, eyes still wide but smiling. ''Mom!'' I nearly scream. ''We're just friends! And I'm only 14!!!'' ''Sometimes I forget. You are turning into such a young lady, it's hard to remember these things.'' Mom kisses my cheek and closes the door. That's when I hear the scream.
~Rue

2 comments:

  1. Rue you look absolutely gorgeous! Hmm a beau. (evil laugh) Helena and I could get you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      Jonathan's JUST a friend! Really!
      A very single,
      Rue

      Delete