Friday, July 27, 2012

Grandparents

Most kids in Panem don't know their grandparents. Once your kids are grown, their gone. Mum, in fact, lost contact with her parents years ago. Okay, she never really had it. 
''Kidddsss!'' Mom sings, knocking on doors all around. ''Guesss whosss HEREEE!!!'' ''An Elephant on a banana on a fly on a kite on a chicken,'' Reef answers, groaning. ''Even better. Your grandparents.'' I instantly am awake. ''Where?'' I ask, fumbling for the door knob. ''Downstairs. I made pancakes. I gave you elephants ones, Rue,'' Mom says laughingly. ''MOM!'' I quickly throw on a flower printed dress.

''Here, take this,'' Dad gravely hands me a rusty sword. ''Why---'' I ask. ''Don't ask. I meet Annie's parents.'' ''Don't worry Dad, I have Adolf.'' {Jonathan gave me Adolf as a going away present. Mom had troubles getting him on the plane, but he is worth it. He's very loyal--and cute!} I stick the sword into a flower pot. ''Well, I guess it could also be used as decor,'' Dad mutters.
''Are you Rue?'' Gram asks Reef. Reef's mouth hangs open. ''No, I'm Rue. He's Reef,'' I say, trying to stifle a laugh. Gram turns to me. ''Are you sure? Ladies don't have tattoos. And she or he has a head of hair.'' ''No, Christina, I think this one is Rue,'' Gramp says, pointing at Adolf. ''No, honey, that's a cat.'' Gram says. Oh my, I think. this will be a very long day. 
 ''There's something I want to announce. Reef and Rue, you are going to have a little baby brother or sister!!!'' Mom says. ''Oh no,'' Reef mutters, his eyes wide. I think Gramp and Gram got to him.
~Rue

No comments:

Post a Comment